[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: drop or merge qemu-kvm

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Tue Feb 26 06:43:36 UTC 2013

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:08:54 -0800
King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/25/2013 07:37 PM, Robby Workman wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:18:45 -0600
> > Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> >> Yes, it should be dropped - plan for that to occur unless there's
> >> serious objection.
> >>
> >> In my experience with qemu (and I use it fairly often), I think the
> >> only thing we need to ensure that it still works with some other
> >> related stuff (e.g. aqemu) is a /usr/bin/qemu-kvm symlink pointing
> >> to /usr/bin/qemu-system-$ARCH (generally x86_64)
> >
> > I'll do better even; here is (attached) the qemu build script I
> > have been using.
> >

> Good point. I'll go over yours with mine and add appropriate updates
> to my TO-DO list.  We'll have to search for any slackbuilds that
> depend on qemu-kvm to make sure they get updated.  Aqemu hasn't had
> an update since 2011 (not necessarily a bad thing) so I wonder if its
> still in development? Might be worth my trying to contact the dev.

Nothing needs qemu in any fashion other than "it needs to be available
at runtime," so no need to check for reverse deps.

Re aqemu, I had contact with upstream (it's just one guy) back when
qemu hit 1.0; he put some changes in svn/git/whatever to support it
(and those patches are used in our SBo build).

> I too use aqemu/qemu quite a bit, not just for playing with other OS
> but also for clean build environments.

Yep, it's good stuff :-)

-RW