[Slackbuilds-users] lists.slackbuilds.org hardware problem

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Fri Jun 21 15:06:14 UTC 2013

Status update: It's still running. Mail seems fine, but HTTP (which
includes the list archives and the web interface to subscriptions) is
down. We're showing a ridiculous load average (93 as I type here)
which seems mostly due to httpd zombies which tried to read from
suspected bad drives.

The suspects are a pair of "green" drives in RAID. Each are showing
I/O errors in dmesg. No, we did not buy those with donated money;
these were hardware donations from one of us.

For the record: avoid "green" drives, especially in servers. I doubt
they truly save any energy, what with all the energy that the
inevitably early failures waste.

Ideally the downtime will be brief. We'll know more and let you know
in a bit.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 06:15:21AM -0500, JB wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 00:10:56 -0500
> Rob McGee <rob0 at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
>
> > Note: this is NOT a solicitation for donations, but it's as good
> > a time as any to thank you all again for your response to the
> > 2011 request. Yes, this is that machine that was built with your
> > donations. Go figure.
>
> Drat...an hdd only lasting two years sucks! I wish I could help
> donate but ...

... but we are NOT soliciting nor accepting donations at this time.
Thanks for the thought, but no, not now. :)

Anyone with money burning holes in pockets is welcome to donate to
Slackware:

http://store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/store/slackdonation?id=2qYiiCh4&mv_pc=202

That's what we did with the excess funds from our 2011 request.
    Rob McGee - /dev/rob0 - rob0 at slackbuilds.org