[Slackbuilds-users] lists.slackbuilds.org hardware problem

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri Jun 21 15:45:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 06:15:21 -0500
JB <yochanon at lavabit.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 00:10:56 -0500
> Rob McGee <rob0 at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
>
> > Harrier.slackbuilds.org a/k/a lists.slackbuilds.org, your humble
> > list host, is having hardware problems: looks like two (count-'em!
> > two!) hard drives are pinin' for the fjords.
> >
> > We're not sure what we'll have to do nor when we'll be able to do
> > it, but we'll try to keep you posted in IRC. The mailing list (as
> > well as all @slackbuilds.org addresses) might be down for 1-3 days.
> >
> > I expect it to be closer to the 1 than the 3, but you know how that
> > goes. We should be able to get to Birmingham, Alabama tomorrow if
> > necessary.
> >
> > Note: this is NOT a solicitation for donations, but it's as good a
> > time as any to thank you all again for your response to the 2011
> > request. Yes, this is that machine that was built with your
> > donations. Go figure.
>
> Drat...an hdd only lasting two years sucks! I wish I could help
> donate but it's the end of the month and I splurged $80 on going to a
> VNVLV/MC rally two weekends ago so I'm broke...literally (disability
> checks don't go very far whether I splurge or not, heh).

No worries - I've got a few enterprise-grade 1TB drives lying around
somewhere, and if I *have* to, I'll steal a couple of 2TB drives from
my backup fileserver...  :-)

The difficult part right now is coordinating a trip to the datacenter;
my wife is leaving for out of town this evening with one of the kids,
and I've got the other one for the weekend.  I suspect our colo host
will not look kindly upon a three year old in the server room ;-)

-RW