[Slackbuilds-users] 14.0 muse doinst setcap failing.

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sun Mar 3 05:19:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:53:44 -0500
B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:

> The muse has at least one unfriendly thing it does, not related to
> capabilities. In the doinst.sh:
>
> if grep GROUP\=\"audio\" /lib/udev/rules.d/65-permissions.rules >
> /dev/null; then
>   echo > /dev/null
> else
>   sed '/^KERNEL=="rtc\|rtc0"/s!$! , GROUP="audio"!' -i
> /lib/udev/rules.d/65-permissions.rules
> fi
>
> As I understand it, packages aren't supposed to modify the contents
> of /lib/udev. Instead, the modified rules should get installed
> to /etc/udev/rules.d. Not to mention, modifying the contents of a
> standard rules file is something that can't be undone when the
> package is removed... and if the udev package gets updated after muse
> is installed, muse will break (because the modified
> 65-permissions.rules will get overwritten with one from the new udev).

Yes, good point and all correct.  The real question I have is what
exactly that sed is supposed to accomplish.  All it does is make
/dev/rtc belong to audio group, but it doesn't change the permissions
from 0644 on the node.  In other words, it doesn't actually *do*
anything useful at all.  Therefore, I'm going to remove that part
from the doinst.sh in my branch.  If the maintainer thinks something
else is supposed to happen there, then that fix will need to happen
in an updated submission.

-RW