[Slackbuilds-users] ★ Slackbuilds Users, Mark left a message for you...

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Mar 3 14:03:08 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013, Robby Workman wrote:

> Sorry to everyone for this getting through to the list.

Robby,

   The spammers and walwere senders have very sophisticated ways of
obfuscating headers and text so the message passes through filters, postfix
header and body checks in my case. As I'm not a computer professional I do
not understand how this is done nor have I the time to try to learn and fix
the problem. Almost every day I get spam that I try to report to the
originating ISP but the outgoing message is blocked by one of my postfix
rules. How it is obscured when coming in I've no idea, but my MUA is alpine
so it's plain text trying to get out and that's when it's caught.

   I've seen these messages from slackbuild, jabref, lyx, and other mail
lists to which I subscribe, including a bunch supposedly from linkedin. I
don't hold the list administrator accountable, just press the 'd' key and
move on

> Now, I know the old adage about "never attribute to malice that
> which can be explained by incompetence,"

   There's apparently a lot of malice alive and well on the 'Net, especially
the WWW. Given the recent publicity about official China behind a lot of
serious cracking to steal economic and political intelligence the push by
server owners to put everyone's data on the 'cloud' scares me. I won't do
it, but what about my banks and other businesses with whom I do business?
Computers are just not completely secure, especially when admins do not keep
up on installing all patches to identified vulnerabilities.

   You do great work that benefits all of us. Deleting spam that makes it
through to the list is easy enough for each of us to do.

Regards,

Rich