[Slackbuilds-users] qemu: New Maintainer - suggestion

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 28 02:36:28 UTC 2013

On 26/02/2013, at 8:33 AM, King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Admins,
> Heads up:  I have Andrew's nod to take over qemu.SlackBuild if no one else has grabbed it yet. If it is up for grabs, I will submit a qemu-1.4 update this week.

I see there is a qemu.tar.gz in the pending queue - I guess thats the 1.4.0 version.

In the meantime, I just recently used the SlackBuild from Matteo's git repo. I hoped that the latest version would fix a problem I was having with host to guest pass through for USB memory sticks.

Well, the new version didn't solve the problem by itself but after a full working day of googling and trying various command line options, I finally found clear instructions (that worked) in the docs directory of the source code. For some reason it had been overlooked for inclusion with the final build, hence nothing in /usr/docs/qemu-1.4.0. Looking back now, I see docs/* were included in qemu-kvm-1.2.0 but not in qemu-1.2.0; if the new qemu-1.4.0 SlackBuild is based on the qemu-1.2.0 version then it too might not have the missing docs.

Anyway my suggestion/request is that qemu's docs/* be included in the final build of the new qemu SlackBuild - those documents may save someone else a lot of troubleshooting time.

chris