[Slackbuilds-users] Are we there yet?

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri Nov 22 19:39:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 18:44:03 +0100
Markus Reichelt <ml at mareichelt.com> wrote:

> > > Well, it builds fine without Tor (that's stated in the README).
> > >
> > > I was under the impression that the REQUIRES field in the .info is
> > > for building issues only. What is it now?
> >
> > It was originally used for hard dependency, but sometimes it
> > enforces a reasonable dependency as well and stem <-> tor is one of
> > them.  The only reason why someone would use stem is probably
> > because of tor
>
> Grrr. Could you please also note that in the FAQ section on SBo?
> And "un-remove" stem? Thanks! :)

The thing about policy is that sometimes it's "we do what seems
most correct at the given time," and so that's what we did.

That said, it's not unreasonable for someone to have a non-SBo
tor implementation at this point (especially given that we are
not certain that we'll even have a tor build for 14.1), and
since stem doesn't require tor to build, I don't think it's a
bad idea for us to just note that a tor installation is expected
and/or recommended in most cases (with the note being in README).

-RW