[Slackbuilds-users] Bash: long lines do not wrap but shift left

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 29 14:53:39 UTC 2014

    Over the weekend I upgraded rxvt-unicode to the latest minor-version
release (9.20 from 9.15). Now when I type a long line in a virtual terminal
the text shifts left rather than wrapping. Cursor behavior on the command
line makes editing difficult.

    I cannot imagine what in the rvxt-unicode upgrade could cause this
behavior, but that's the only system change I made recently.

   When I remove the rxvt-unicode package and change the vt command to rxvt
from urxvt, then lines wrap as expected but I cannot correctly display UTF-8
characters.

   The distributed rxvt was built with multichar_languages capability (as
shown with 'rxvt -h') and LANG=en_US.UTF-8 so it _should_ display accented
characters, yes? The rxvt man page shows me the -km command line/compile
option for multicharacter language display but I don't know which of the
listed modes would be appropriate.

   Your help in having rxvt/urxvt correctly display multicharacter languages
and wrap lines instead of shifting them is appreciated.

Rich