[Slackbuilds-users] Fcron and http://slackbuilds.org/uid_gid.txt

Richard richard at aaazen.com
Wed Aug 6 17:33:50 UTC 2014

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014, Erik Hanson wrote:

> I added fcron user/group 289 to uid_gid.txt

Thanks Erik!

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014, Miguel De Anda wrote:

> I believe the general consensus is to not include a user_add or similar
> in the script but instead add a message in
> the readme. See how other build scripts so it... I know plexmediaserver
> uses one and so does docker.

Thanks Miquel, I was already thinking along these lines, but the
plexmediaserver SlackBuild script gave me the idea to use "getent"
instead of either "grep" or "id" for testing groups and userids.

getent is preferred as it works with external group/userid servers such as
LDAP.  In any large organization, the /etc/group and /etc/passwd files
hold only a small fraction of the available groups and userids.

Richard Narron
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --
Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence.
Hovering there
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up along delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
Where never lark, or even eagle flew;
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
		-- John Gillespie Magee Jr., "High Flight"