[Slackbuilds-users] Error while installing package fontforge (20141014)

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 9 23:28:27 UTC 2014

On 12/09/2014 10:35 PM, Jim Diamond wrote:
> On Tue, Dec  9, 2014 at 11:43 (+1000), Christoph Willing wrote:
>

>> On 12/09/2014 10:52 AM, John Vogel wrote:

>>> Thanks for setting me straight. Apologies all around for wasting everyones
>>> time.
>
>> Well, I just successfully built with latest fontforge.SlackBuild on a
>> 14.1-multilib partition that I have for testing. Thats not particularly
>> helpful in diagnosing/fixing the OP's problem apart from pointing to some
>> deeper problem - something beyond being on a multilib system.
>
> FWIW, I am able to build it in a 64-bit only version of 14.1, but on a
> multilib system it crashes and burns with the same issue as in the
> original posting.
>
> Does your multilib system have a lot of SBo packages?  Perhaps there
> is some interaction between some package(s) that the OP and I have
> installed.  If anyone is keen to do some binary search looking to see
> when fontforge stops compiling, I'd be happy to supply the list of
> packages I have on my system.  (But I can't do that myself any time in
> the near future.)

Yes, the multilib that I built fontforge on had quite a few extra
packages - it had been my regular system until I started tracking
-current - so had become a little crufty.

However I did also find another more recent multilib partition that I'd
made to test something special - it had far fewer extra packages. The
fontforge build was OK on that system too.

Using the date fields from 'ls -l /var/log/packages', I removed all
packages installed after the initial installation of base multilib
packages i.e. the system now has been returned to a base multilib
system. Again the build of fontforge completed OK.

Maybe multilib can be implicated in the fontforge build failures but I
think there's some other factor involved too.

chris