[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: gdm users

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sat Feb 1 07:21:23 UTC 2014

While I was updating the gdm build script with the updated crypt patch,
another issue was brought to my attention, and while checking on that,
I noticed yet another.  Here are those two issues:

1) there are still a few files in /etc/X11/gdm/ that are not installed
   with .new suffixes, and thus any custom edits to them get overwritten
   with every package upgrade.

2) /etc/X11/gdm/ should really be /etc/gdm/
   * gdm is not an X11 program, at least not in the context of the
     other things in /etc/X11/ (go on, have a look)
   * kdm uses /etc/kdm/ (okay, well, it really uses /usr/share/kdm/,
     but you get the point)  :-)

I plan to fix #1 in the next update, so you should probably back up
your /etc/X11/gdm/ directory somewhere if you have made any custom
changes to any of the non-.new'd files in there.

The RFC in the subject is related to #2.  I would like to change the
config directory to /etc/gdm/ -- it's just a configure flag -- but
I don't want to cause too much heartache.  Is there a consensus
among the gdm users on the list?

-RW