[Slackbuilds-users] Problems with the rc.postgresql script included with Postgresql on SBo

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 15:48:17 UTC 2014

I've just installed Postgresql using the scripts form SBo. I created the
postgres user and group, a data cluster, chowned the data dir to the
postgres user - all as usual. However, the rc.postgresql script is
refusing to start Postgresql. No errors, nothing. I just get:

# /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql start
Starting PostgreSQL

There is no postgres process after that.

I don't think there anything wrong with my install, as I can start
Postgresql manually either using pg_ctl or using the postgres command.

If I use "sudo -u postgres" instead of "su - postgres" in
/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql at least I get some more output - but it still
doesn't start. But "su - postgres" seems to fail silently.

Has anything changed in Slackware recently which has broken rc.postgresql?