[Slackbuilds-users] duplicity & tarsnap

Thomas Morper thomas at beingboiled.info
Tue Jan 21 23:49:35 UTC 2014

Hello there,

In search of a backup tool I stumbled across the Slackbuilds for
"duplicity" and "tarsnap" which have been abandoned by their respective
maintainers.

The Slackbuild for "duplicity" hasn't been updated for more than three
years, although there have been a few new releases since with lots of
improvements and important bug fixes.

The Slackbuild for "tarsnap" hasn't been updated for more than four years
and refers to a version with a critical security issue that could expose
supposedly encrypted data.

I've settled on "rsnapshot" for different reasons, but if you're a user of
either duplicity or tarsnap, please consider stepping in as the new
maintainer.

On a side note... discovering neglected Slackbuilds has become sort of a
pattern for me whenever I look beyond those which I've been using for
years. Do I just happen to always pick up that one foul apple or is this a
problem on a larger scale?