[Slackbuilds-users] packages up for grab

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue May 13 17:56:51 UTC 2014

On 5/13/14, Rob McGee <rob0 at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> Interesting idea, but I am not sure the data would be useful.
>
> For example: sbopkg: pulls in the whole thing. Even if like me, you
> only ever use a handful of packages from slackbuilds.org, you have
> ALL the scripts.

sbopkg uses rsync, doesn't it? Wouldn't even be noticed by a HTTP
download tracker.

> Maybe a better set of statistics would be to implement this on the
> sbopkg side: have sbopkg phone home somewhere for every package
> successfully built.

Still wouldn't be all that accurate. I bet I'm not the only one that
uses an rsync mirror + own custom scripts to build/install stuff. Also
there's sbo_tools...

> That is unSlackwarian, the idea of software which phones home, but
> surely they would have it as an opt-in feature default to "no".

I bet most people would leave it disabled, too.

I'm against this, but... if I were for it, I'd say the place to implement
it would be a wrapper around installpkg: a script that runs installpkg,
and if it succeeds, and if the package had a _SBo tag, it hits the counter
URL with wget or curl. This would be *very* opt-in: the user would have
to do something like rename /sbin/installpkg to /sbin/installpkg.orig,
then place the tracking script at /sbin/installpkg.

Again though, I bet very few of us would opt in.