[Slackbuilds-users] what category do fonts go in?

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Wed May 28 11:28:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 05:05:28PM +0700,
   Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
> Ryan:
> >> I like the fonts/ idea. My vote is for that. :^)
> >
> > I definitely agree with you (to be used for font-sets and
> > font-associated tools, IMHO).
>
> for now, all fonts have been moved to system/ category

Sorry for the late response here. FWIW I don't feel strongly about
these categories; at best they can only be a rough guide. I have a
different view of what "system" means (or should mean.)

X11 is a display system, basically a thing to draw pictures for a
user. It is by no means essential to a GNU/Linux computer. Fonts
comprise a subset of X11, to fool the user into thinking that a
picture is in fact painting a thousand words.

I'd call "system" a place for things like filesystem drivers and
tools, disk management utilities, and OS and package management
software. I could poke through /sbin, /usr/sbin, Unix manual's
section 8, and Slackware's A series to find a few more examples.

Fonts might more properly fit into "office" or "desktop" IMO. If
enough of them are packaged, a "fonts" category makes sense.

Jm2cw. And Willy, your superb contributions to SBo are greatly
appreciated.
    Rob McGee - /dev/rob0 - rob0 at slackbuilds.org