[Slackbuilds-users] Patches in `$PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/`?

John Vogel jvogel4 at stny.rr.com
Tue Aug 11 04:48:34 UTC 2015

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 23:44:50 -0500
Kyle Guinn <elyk03 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/10/15, Thomas Szteliga <ts at websafe.pl> wrote:
> > SlackBuild templates (and scripts) contain this line:
> >

> > ~~~~
> > cat $CWD/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild \
> >     > $PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild
> > ~~~~
> >

> > but what if a SlackBuild script requires patches applied
> > during its execution. Shouldn't they be copied to
> >

> > 	$PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/
> >
> > as well?
> >

> > For example, `arj` <http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1/system/arj/>
> > requires a lot of patches
> > <http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.1/system/arj/patches/> but the
> > SlackBuild script
> > <http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.1/system/arj/arj.SlackBuild>
> > still contains only:
> >
> > ~~~~
> > cat $CWD/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild \
> >     > $PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild
> > ~~~~
> >

> > leaving the patches out.
>
> I've noticed this as well.  Does anyone find it helpful that the
> script is installed in /usr/doc?  Maybe we can omit it instead?
>
> -Kyle

I like having the script installed to docdir. It's a quick
reference to how the current package was built. I've utilized
it's presence more than a few times. I'm not against having
the patches there also. Seems innocuous and makes changes
made to the source transparent. I don't feel it's actually
necessary. I could see arguments against, such as unnecessary
space being taken up, I guess.

John