[Slackbuilds-users] bashisms?

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 08:16:28 UTC 2015

On 8/28/15, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca> wrote:

> and otherwise following
> good programming practices by explicitly declaring that the shell
> script must be run by bash if that is, indeed, the case).

I tried doing that, it got changed back to #!/bin/sh, so I just gave up.

I don't use other shells normally, and haven't memorized the POSIX shell
spec, so can't remember (and can't be bothered to forever be looking up)
what's a bashism and what isn't. Horrible attitude maybe, but it is what
it is, so I normally use #!/bin/bash to avoid confusion and breakage.

I suppose if a forked or future Slackware someday has /bin/sh as non-bash,
it'd be easy enough to sed the shebangs to #!/bin/bash on the entire SBo
repo.

Probably this whole discussion is a waste of time, I won't be offended
or anything if nobody wants to reply to this.