[Slackbuilds-users] Slim

Alan Ianson agianson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 03:19:25 UTC 2015

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 09:11:31 +0100
Philip van der Hoeven <philip at vd-hoeven.nl> wrote:

> On 11-02-2015 07:19, Alan Ianson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 07:45:11 +1100
> > Duncan wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 07:19:26PM -0800, Alan Ianson wrote: On
> > Mon, 9 Feb 2015 18:40:56 -0800 Ryan wrote:
> > http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/x11-misc/slim/files/slim-1.3.6-freetype.patch?view=markup
> > [1] Will do, thanks!
>  If this works, let David Spencer <baildon.research at googlemail.com>
> know to incorporate it. He is taking over slim. Thanks for the help
> everyone! I grabbed this patch and added it to the slim.SlackBuild
> and now it builds and packages fine. I am still getting this on my
> console though.. Starting up X11 session manager... Starting up X11
> session manager... Starting up X11 session manager... Starting up X11
> session manager... Starting up X11 session manager... Starting up X11
> session manager... Starting up X11 session manager... Starting up X11
> session manager... Starting up X11 session manager... Starting up X11
> session manager... INIT: Id "x1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
> minites This repeats every 5 minutes.
> _______________________________________________ That's normal init
> behaviour if a process that it starts crashes immediately. Suggest
> you start it manually and debug,
>
> Slim is up and running normally but the init system doesn't seem to
> know that. I'll keep looking..
>
> What is your slim start command ? Perhaps you forgot 'exec' (without
> the qoutes) in front of it ?

This is what I have in /etc/rc.d/rc.4. I commented out the echo line so
at least I don't see that.. :)

# Tell the viewers what's going to happen...
# echo "Starting up X11 session manager..."

  # Try to use SLiM login manager.  This comes first, because if SLiM
is # installed, then the user probably wants to use it by default:
  if [ -x /usr/bin/slim ]; then
    exec /usr/bin/slim
  fi