[Slackbuilds-users] Slackbuild helper script

Karel Venken k.venken at online.be
Sun Feb 22 21:18:50 UTC 2015

Leonard Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Karel Venken writes:
>> It is in my notes (consider this a temporary link)
>>
>> http://users.online.be/~cd003081/slackware/packman/getpkgs
>>
>> Chances are slim it is what you want - I wrote it for myself- , but
>> don't hesitate to comment and use it any way you see fit.
> I really like the dependency tree your program produces when using -Hr,
> very cool!
Thanks,

I needed it when things go wrong to be able to gruadually pinpoint where
the problem is. The tree helps to figure this out. I can manually work
my way up the tree to see what went wrong.
Afterwards, it turned usefull also to have a quick estimate of how much
work needs to be done, currently I almost always start with this option,
so I have an idea of how many packages needs to be handled. As it
already provides the needed slackbuild scripts, I can eventually check
the info files if needed.

> My script is simpler in this regard, and it has problems with large
> SlackBuilds like thunar-sendto-clamtk (though this is fixed by using -D
> on such a monster). My tool also has support for so-called .deps and
> .env files. So my ~/.sboget/options/ffmpeg.deps looks like this:
>
> faac:FAAC=yes
> gsm:GSM=yes
> openjpeg:JP2=yes
> lame:LAME=yes
> OpenAL:OPENAL=yes
> schroedinger:SCHROEDINGER=yes
> speex:SPEEX=yes
> twolame:TWOLAME=yes
> x264:X264=yes
> xvidcore:XVID=yes
>
> My digikam.deps looks like this:
> eigen3 libpgf libdc1394 QtGStreamer
>
> This allows me to enable optional dependencies, in an .env file one can
> specify optional variables to pass to the SlackBuild. This is about it.
> I've been using it for quite some time now to update my systems. It has
> support for http, rsync or git (I use a NFS-exported directory instead,
> one only has to change the mirror to rsync or git for this, otherwise
> it complains).
Indeed, a logical step, at some point you want to be able to add some
dependencies manually. I only added this much later by means of a text
file HINTS.TXT, which is parsed for some options, like additional
dependencies. But it is all in one file rather then spread over
different,...

> I only began work on this because I already had written a package
> manager for Slackware (with third-party repository support -- didn't
> know about slackpkg+ back then). This script is of course not as
> sophisticated as sbopkg or even slackrepo (by David Spencer), let alone
> as well-written. Both, sbopkg and slackrepo, are incredible tools,
> highly sophisticated.
>
> I should add that it's an ash script: to be honest I always wanted to
> dive into (m)ksh programming, but since it's just a hobby for me I never
> had the time to do it, ash on the other hand is quite simple and was
> easily understandable. I could probably achieve more if I learnt bash
> or ksh, but for now this suffices for me.
>
> I started uploading my scripts to github, so my SBo tool is available here:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/1ems/scripts/master/sboget

Thanks for sharing this, I looked at your script and it is much more
worked out and advanced. Hmmm, my scripting skills need to improve, ;-)
... but if there is still some parts in mine you like, feel free to take
it. I have to admit, I started writing scripts just for the fun of it,
and because it takes work out of my hands. I also use a few selfmade
ones for mounting USB, connecting wireless etc...