[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: "driver" category for kernel modules/drivers

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 29 21:02:55 UTC 2015

> What I am tying to get at is this: How does a user find the software he
> needs when he can't think of the name or a tag?

Laugh at me if you like, but yes, I can empathise with that.

However, it really can't be solved by the SBo categories or website --
for one thing, the right software for the user might not even have a
SlackBuild until someone writes it. Maybe the SBo website could do a
free text search on all the slack-descs, but it feels more like a job
for Google. Years ago we would have used Freshmeat. Maybe Freshmeat
died because Google does a better job, or maybe AppStream will become
the universal solution:

http://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/

Maybe someone in the community could do something imaginative with
that (ignoring the 90% of it which is bollocks, obviously). The
metadata is already present in some packages built from SBo (i.e.
exactly where it's maximally useless for the SBo workflow) but once
the package is built it's easy to extract and reuse, or maybe it could
be leeched from somewhere :)

Best regards
-D.