[Slackbuilds-users] FFmpeg update

John Vogel jvogel4 at stny.rr.com
Wed Jun 3 00:50:56 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 11:24:31 +0100
David Spencer <baildon.research at googlemail.com> wrote:

--snip

> multimedia/vlc -- big problem. vlc-2.1.6 refuses to build with the new
> version of ffmpeg ("configure: error: libavcodec versions 56 and later
> are not supported yet"). vlc-2.2.1 accepts the new version of ffmpeg
> but needs newer versions of cairo, libdvdread and taglib than are in
> Slackware 14.1. There was a prior thread about vlc-2.2.1 on this
> mailing list.

--snip

This is strange. I double checked my build and the only change I
made besides modifying vlc's version to 2.2.1 was to disable the
freerdp patches. vlc built fine and runs well, if a bit slowly in
the vm I'm running it on right now. This is on 14.1 with only
official updates and SBo packages. Any SBo packages modified have
been annotated at my github repo mentioned earlier in the thread.
I tried to be careful not to modify anything that didn't need it
and also to document the changes when they seemed needed.

Cheers,
John