[Slackbuilds-users] synergy-1.7.3 Slackbuild fails with dns_sd.h not found error

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 9 06:02:41 UTC 2015

On 09/06/15 11:58, Richards, Don wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> I used installpkg but the package I used was avahi-0.6.31-x86_64-1dj.txz for Slackware 14.1 from the Salix repository. So, maybe that is the problem.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

The avahi.SlackBuild actually has a comment about creating this symlink
for the benefit of compatibility with howl & mdnsresponder. Looks like
synergy also needs it and perhaps there are other packages too.

However I thnk that adding the symlink (either manually or in
avahi.SlackBuild script) is less than ideal. For a start, just imagine
the chaos if all packages with a subdirectory in /usr/include required
it. Furthermore, it unnecessarily adds to upstream's release, which
already provides a bunch of .pc files so that packages which depend on
avahi can find the necessary include files and libraries.

In this case, synergy could/should be using a construct like:
     pkg-config --cflags-only-I avahi-compat-libdns_sd
(which correctly returns -I/usr/include/avahi-compat-libdns_sd/), rather
than depend on existence of a well intentioned symlink.

According to hoorex, SBo scripts with a direct dependency on avahi are:
     plex-home-theater mod_dnssd gmpc-plugins synergy nss-mdns vlc
libdmapsharing

Perhaps maintainers of these packages could check that they don't need
the symlink (and use the info in avahi's pkgconfig files instead) so
that its creation can be removed from avahi.SlackBuild.

chris