[Slackbuilds-users] QEMU

John Yost alleytrotter at gmail.com
Sat May 23 16:41:19 UTC 2015

On 05/21/2015 07:49 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
> On 05/19/2015 12:54 PM, John Yost wrote:
>

>> Thanks King Beowulf
>>
>> Adding the file extension '.raw' works fine. When referencing the
>> manual "http://qemu.weilnetz.de/qemu-doc.html" I could not find
>> anything tanks again john
>>

> John
>
> it's there.  Instead of invoking your guest as "-hda <image>"
> block device, you can define hda:
>
> -drive file=<image>,index=0,media=disk,format=raw
>
> the format=<fmt> is there corrupted or untrusted format headers.
>
> The "drive" switch has MANY more options to fully define the drive
> type, bus, interface, etc.
>
> Have fun -Ed

Thanks again Ed
I guess I am pretty old school.
I am just now switching over to using VM's for Linux
For all these years with Slackware (since about'98) I lived on
separate partitions for build, current, rescue, and production. Of
course this method requires a reboot to switch between worlds. So I am
now experimenting with Qemu. From your replies it seems I will need to
study the -drive switch and also look into 'copy on write'.
My biggest problem so far is passing info back and forth. I have been
using a usb stick but I see there are many other methods.
John