[Slackbuilds-users] Github file name issue

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Mon May 25 08:43:34 UTC 2015

On Monday 25 May 2015 03:49:16 Thomas Morper wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> A user of one of my SlackBuilds discovered an interesting problem:
>
> If you follow the download link from the info file, pointing to a release
> on Github, you'll end up with different filenames depending on whether you
> use a browser or a tool like 'wget', thanks to a 'Content-Disposition'
> header. E.g.:
>
> 'Release' link on Github:
> https://github.com/BlackIkeEagle/par2cmdline/archive/v0.6.11.tar.gz
>
> As expected, wget will save the archive as 'v0.6.11.tar.gz'. However,
> Firefox will save it as 'par2cmdline-0.6.11.tar.gz', so anybody following
> the download link from the slackbuilds.org web site will get a non-working
> build. Most of the Github links I've checked behave this way.
>
> What would be a good way to handle this? Editing the SlackBuild script to
> handle both names doesn't seem very desirable. Do we have to resort to
> self hosting?

There is actually a download URL scheme that works better (IMHO, anyway), but
it's not easily discoverable.

In your case this would translate to

https://github.com/BlackIkeEagle/par2cmdline/tarball/v0.6.11/par2cmdline-0.6.11.tar.gz

The downside of this download is that the foldername inside the tarball differs
with every version since it includes the git hash of the release tag.
Also, apparently this is using a github legacy API, so they might turn it off
at some point, but for now it works fine for me.

Grs,
Heinz