[Slackbuilds-users] FFmpeg update

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue May 26 07:51:44 UTC 2015

On 5/26/15, Christoph Willing <chris.willing at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Would you consider removing all those lines so that all available
> features can be enabled rather than disabled? At the moment I have to
> edit the SlackBuild quite a bit, or have a very long (error prone)
> command line to re-enable all the features that should be included.

You don't have to edit the slackbuild, you can set them in the
environment.

That said, there are just too darned many environment variables. My
command to build ffmpeg with everything enabled (except pulseaudio!) ends
up looking like:

ASS=yes BLURAY=yes CELT=yes DC1394=yes FAAC=yes FREI0R=yes GSM=yes
IEC61883=yes ILBC=yes JP2=yes LADSPA=yes LAME=yes MODPLUG=yes
OPENAL=yes OPENCORE=yes OPENSSL=yes OPUS=yes RTMP=yes SCHROEDINGER=yes
SPEEX=yes TWOLAME=yes VPX=yes X264=yes XVID=yes sh ./ffmpeg.SlackBuild

Another thing about building ffmpeg: it uses texi2html to generate the
developer documentation, and chokes if it can't find it in the $PATH
(usually because the user did plain 'su' instead of 'su -', or because
the T series isn't installed). There's even extra code in there to check
for texi2html... And I'd estimate 99% of people running the build script
are never going to read the ffmpeg dev docs, because they're not writing
code that uses ffmpeg (they just need it for transcoding movies, or as a
dependency for something else).

Forcing people to jump through hoops to build documentation they're
never going to read is annoying, so I propose:

1. Add the tex directory to $PATH before checking for texi2html:
   export PATH=$PATH:/usr/share/texmf/bin

2. If texi2html still isn't found, add --disable-doc to the
   ./configure command.

3. Maybe have the slack-desc include a line reflecting whether the
   docs are included, 'This package was built (with|without) developer
   docs'.

Upstream already provides the --disable-doc option, so it's not really
a case of gratuitously changing things.