[Slackbuilds-users] README [fork of Re: jack-audio-connection-kit vs jack2]

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at slackbuilds.org
Thu May 28 14:01:55 UTC 2015

On Friday 29 May 2015 01:55:44 Klaatu wrote:
> On 05/29/2015 12:20 AM, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
> >> I think in the future, I'll use %README% in REQUIRES to alert the user
> >> that the version of JACK is optional.
> >
> > %README% is used to tell users that a package is conflicting/replacing
> > Slackware packages. Other than that, users are always assumed to read
> > README.
>
> Sorry, I don't want to get side-tracked, but according to my memory of
> the discussion about the REQUIRES field when its creation was being
> debated, as well as http://slackbuilds.org/guidelines/ text:
>
> "Listing '%README%' as part of REQUIRES indicates more information about
> optional requirements is available in the README."
>
> If that has changed, we should probably change the text.

It hasn't, but if jack is listed in REQUIRES, it's not an optional dependency
either (but required, as the name states), and hence the %README% rule doesn't
apply. And if it's not listed you can already explain more in the README,
without the %README%. So really, %README% is completely irrelevant for this
discussion.

Grs,
Heinz