[Slackbuilds-users] SBo Mame?

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 09:52:06 UTC 2015

CCing this to the list, as several people have asked.

On 9/30/15, email.box at tutanota.de <email.box at tutanota.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been told you are the new mantainer for the MAME SBo.
>
> Will there be an update soon?

There will be.

The reason I haven't updated it since taking over: they rewrote the
entire build system in Lua, and included *every* third-party library mame
uses. So when you compile mame now, it first compiles lua, then uses
lua scripts to compile its own static versions of things like libpng,
zlib, libflac, sqlite3...

I was trying to come up with a way to let the new mame build system use
the system libraries (since most of those libs are already present in
Slackware, and the rest are on SBo already). But I'm hampered by the
fact that I don't actually know Lua... so I put it on the backburner
for a while (for too long, in fact).

However, I think I've given up on that idea. There will be a mame update
soon, but it'll take 10x as long to compile and you'll get a binary that's
maybe 2 or 3 times as large as the old one. On the plus side, it'll be
using exactly the versions of all libraries that it was developed with.