[Slackbuilds-users] Prosody vs. SSL/TLS

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Sat Sep 19 13:15:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm currently playing with Prosody (XMPP server) on a sandbox server. As
far as I can tell, the default configuration (prosody.SlackBuild on SBo)
doesn't allow secure (SSL/TLS) connections. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My first attempt was to simply build the listed dependencies and the
Prosody package.

I had to manually add/configure some stuff, like adding a PID file and
setting some permissions. Logfiles came in handy for this.

Curiously enough, I can't create an account on Pidgin. He simply won't
accept my self-signed certificate for my domain (slackbox.fr). I
understand Pidgin had a problem with that up to version 2.10.10, but
that was officially corrected with 2.10.11 (which is what I'm running).

I took a peek in prosody.SlackBuild and in the source code. I ran
./configure --help | less, and here's an option to activate SSL:

--with-ssl=LIB              The name of the SSL to link with.
                            Default is crypto

This option is nowhere to be found in the SlackBuild, which makes me
wonder if SSL support is built in or not. Unfortunately, ./configure
output doesn't say anything about it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Niki