[Slackbuilds-users] Fwd: monit change request

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Sat Aug 6 06:49:01 UTC 2016

On 05/08/16 19:17, Bryan Harris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Would it be alright for me to take over maintaining the monit package?
>  I emailed the author (forwarded below) who says he is not the
> maintainer anymore.
>
> I would like to "upstreamify" the package (if you take the meaning).
> What I want to do is make it behave "out of the box" like the monit
> author (and me) would like to use it normally.  The main thing being
> to make the "monit <command>" commands work by way of renaming the
> config back to the the default name hard-coded into monit.  The
> default name is monitrc as opposed to monit.conf (Red Hat uses that
> name but they patched the source code to make it work right).
>
> E.g. monit summary, monit status, monit start <service>, monit stop
> <service>, etc.  Those commands work with the config named monitrc,
> but not if the config named monit.conf.

I can't help but think that this is a little bit poor design from the
part of the Monit development team. What is the point in having a fully
configurable config file name and location, if half of your software is
hard-coded to use a particular config file name and location? I
personally would prefer the /etc/monit.conf option, as it looks
standard. But I guess if there is not other way to make the extra
commands work ...

The other problem I have with monit at the moment is that if you do
/etc/rc.d/rc.monit restart, most of the time this will kill the daemon
completely. What appears to be happening is that monit is taking a long
time to shut down - which means the start command is attempted while it
is still shutting down - so it never starts again. Maybe this could be
rectified somehow in the rc script as well?