[Slackbuilds-users] icecat 38.8.0 crashes

bch at shroggslodge.freeserve.co.uk bch at shroggslodge.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 08:57:03 UTC 2016

Good morning

Having got latest Icecat building with the -Os switch, it seems there are
some reports of [serious?] security issues with it.

Here is where I first read something:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2016-08/msg00000.html

And I have seen further discussion and consternation about what to do with
Icecat and perhaps not using Firefox as base etc.  I'm really relatively
only a 'user' so to speak, so I'm interested to know what others feel....is
there a serious security risk ?

I realise this is SBo and not an Icecat forum,  but I wonder what the
contributors (and maintainer) on SBo feel about the reports being made;
should it affect whether Icecat is on SBo if its known to be 'risky', or
does it not matter, should comments be made [in the info] or is it up to
anyone wanting to use it to be self-aware and generally any other comments
to share.

If this list really is inappropriate for posts like this (whatever 'this'
is), then just let me know.....but I would be interested in what more
knowledgeable people on SBo feel ?

Thank you and good day to all.
Habs