[Slackbuilds-users] KeePass.SlackBuild

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 07:39:35 UTC 2016

On 8/26/16, Thomas Szteliga <ts at websafe.pl> wrote:

> they should be placed in:
>
> 	/usr/lib/KeePass-${VERSION}/
>

> And we can't really determine the version of Keepass
> a user has installed in an extension SlackBuild, can we?

Never used KeePass, but to play the devil's advocate...

Why not? There's surely a way for a shell script to determine the version
number. Maybe by running 'KeePass --version' or similar, or maybe even
by just looking for the existence of /usr/lib/KeePass-* and using cut
or whatever to get the version number. Not saying that's a great idea,
but it's at least possible...

> My suggestion is to install KeePass in
>
> 	/usr/lib/KeePass/
>
> or just symlink /usr/lib/KeePass to /usr/lib/KeePass-${VERSION}
> in doinst.sh.
>
> This would make the creation of extension/plugin SlackBuilds
> easier, or better - possible.

Whether or not that's a good idea partly depends on whether compiled
plugins are compatible from one KeePass version to another. If they are,
then your idea sounds like the best answer. If they aren't, then the
user's going to have to upgrade every plugin after upgrading KeePass
anyway, and if it's like e.g. perl or older versions of irssi, trying
to load an old/incompatible compiled module might cause the whole thing
to segfault...

Not being a KeePass user I can't answer that (looks like KeePass
is written in C# and built with mono, so I don't know enough to even
guess), but it's something you might want to investigate before making
any final decisions.

I haven't got a horse in this race though.