[Slackbuilds-users] Fwd: ffmpeg update?

Klaatu klaatu at member.fsf.org
Tue Dec 27 04:24:55 UTC 2016

How is it not clean? Do you mean you might miss new build options? In
that case, run ./configure --help and add new options.

Broadly, I agree with Willy: I prefer SB.o stable and as ABI compatible
with previous SB.o iterations within a given Slackware release cycle as
possible. This holds especially true for ffmpeg, an extremely volatile
software, with changes in syntax and dependencies with almost every
other release.

I think SB.o's strength is that it's a collection of build scripts
available for modification at the user's whim. Personally, I prefer a
stable SB.o that can be used just like the official distribution to an
ever-changing repository providing the latest and greatest.

Personally, ffmpeg is important enough in my profession that I just
maintain my own build with about 12 more deps than the SB.o one and set
to the version that I have evaluated and tested.

-klaatu