[Slackbuilds-users] Moving stuff to gis/ ?

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:19:25 UTC 2016

> Is there a list somewhere that explains all the categories and what type of
> software does into each? I searched for something and came up empty.

no, but they should be pretty self-explanatory

https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1/

> The reason I ask is twofold... 1. I don't know what gis stands for (maybe
> geographical information system, as that is what Google says, so is that all
> graphics manipulation software?). 2. I have packages (that I will be

yes, it's "geographical information system" and, citing from
wikipedia, "the term describes any information system that integrates,
stores, edits, analyzes, shares, and displays geographic information".
maybe your best option is to have a look to what's provided in the
category for a general idea of what goes in it.

> submitting) that cover multiple categories, so I wonder if one takes
> precedence over the other all the time or if it is dependent on the
> application.

it's dependent on the application.
can you provide a list of examples of what you are about to submit, so
maybe we can help you identify to what category they belong...
in some cases (that too on a case-by-case basis) categories can also
be not that strict and the collocation of one script under one of them
instead of another can depend on whatever the maintainer decides.

Matteo