[Slackbuilds-users] llfuse and attic

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 07:45:14 UTC 2016

On 21/03/16 01:31, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
>> The update of llfuse in the -master from version 0.40 to 0.43 breaks
>> compatibility with attic.
>>
>> Even if we considered "borg"
>> (https://borgbackup.readthedocs.org/en/stable/) as a replacement for
>> attic, this is what they say in the source code of borg:
>>
>> extras_require = {
>>      # llfuse 0.40 (tested, proven, ok), needs FUSE version >= 2.8.0
>>      # llfuse 0.41 (tested shortly, looks ok), needs FUSE version >= 2.8.0
>>      # llfuse 0.42 (tested shortly, looks ok), needs FUSE version >= 2.8.0
>>      # llfuse 1.0 will break API
>>      'fuse': ['llfuse<1.0', ],
>> }
>>
>> So updating llfuse to version higher than 0.40 makes both backup
>> programs somehow not future complete.
>
> First, borg is not in our repo (yet)

It might be a sensible candidate to replace attic.

> Second, llfuse is considered optional for Attic

Spice is considered optional for QEMU, but trust me, I prefer QEMU with
spice.

> Third, Attic hasn't been updated since May 2015 and it has stack of
> issues and pull requests that haven't been processed (probably llfuse
> compatibility is one of them)

I've been using Attic for quite some time and I haven't noticed any
problems. llfuse was originally submitted to support Attic.

It's true that Attic development is stalled. For that reason it's good
idea to consider borg.

> Fourth and probably the most important one: this update fix build
> failure on other package where it's considered hard dependency
>
> and probably Fifth, David has managed to find an easy fix for borg :)

Easy or not, as you can see from the snippet I sent you, 0.40 is the
best version to use. Keep in mind that it is a backup software.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski