[Slackbuilds-users] Issues Building Chromium

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 29 21:37:32 UTC 2016

> A generic question on this: Why is it the case that the Chromium in
> SBo is updated so seldom? Why not just adopt Eric's packages?

The Chromium in SBo git master (ready for release with 14.2) is
version 48.0.2564.97, and is almost identical to Eric's SlackBuild.
The SBo script exists mostly as a convenience for people who want to
manage all their packages together, or to fork and maintain their own
variant.

Because Eric's builds are so good, there is not much incentive to
update the SBo script regularly. Another disincentive is the amount of
time it takes to build Chromium. It has the longest build time in SBo,
and the last time I did a test build for i486, it took 70215 seconds.
That's 19 1/2 hours. I don't want to do that every week, and I doubt
anybody else does either, possibly including Eric himself ;-)

-D.