[Slackbuilds-users] 14.2RC2 Update/fixes for nvidia 361.42

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun May 1 18:21:43 UTC 2016

On 05/01/2016 09:53 AM, Matteo Bernardini wrote:
>>> using this as example TAG (or VERSION) has a value before the
>>> SlackBuild is run but the package has a name using a different TAG (or
>>> VERSION) at the end...
>>> taking in account this my vote is to avoid completely altering the
>>> variables values inside of the SlackBuild.
>>>
>>> Matteo
>>>
>>> P.S. while I was writing this it has come to mind that ffmpeg does
>>> this for the ARCH field and, as for my experience, seems to be safe...
>>
>> Well... packages that build kernel modules add the kernel version onto
>> $VERSION (e.g. nvidia_kernel), also some packages add the locale name
>> onto $VERSION (e.g. libreoffice-langpack)
>>
>> ffmpeg with $ARCH_custom breaks slackpkg+, I'd be happy to see'
>> _custom' removed, but ffmpeg was using '_custom' for years before
>> slackpkg+ was invented .... it's Heinz's decision, however I seem to
>> remember that the reason for _custom is not so important any more?
>>
>> Sorry to make this unneccessarily difficult :-/
>
> no, the discussion is interesting. :)
>
> so, I'm ok going with adding "_multi" to the VERSION variable and I'll
> commit that in the meantime, waiting for someone else to comment on
> this.
>
> Matteo

Either way is OK by me.  I didn't think about slackpkg+ breakage...Until
14.2 goes stable, I'm not using slackpkg+ and am also limiting slackpkg
use.  I also don't use sbopkg.  I was just thinking I needed to tag the
2 possible nvidia-driver versions (pure 64-bit and multilib/compat32)
since I ended up getting confused as to which package I was testing
here. I agree that we should try to do this in the most compatible way
as possible.

I was also thinking it might be time to separate out the COMPAT32 bits
into a separate package, akin to what Alien Bob does with his multilib
packages.  Its been a bit tedious to keep up with changes.

If you look at Alien Bob's multilib packages, for core system he uses:

$PRGNAM-$VERSION_mulilib-x84_64-$BUILD$TAG

and for the COMPAT32 converted files:

$PRGNAM-compat32-$VERSION-x86_64-$BUILD$TAG

with TAG in this case = compat32

This, at least here, was completely compatible with slackpkg/slackpkg+

-Ed