[Slackbuilds-users] OPTIONAL field [was: qemu/spice-gtk and usbredir]

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 5 10:56:56 UTC 2016

> No YAML or XML needed to be written, just a simple syntax as proposed.

Simple?

Here's an offer.

If *you* write all the code needed for slackrepo to parse that "simple
syntax", and all the code needed for the user to select which options
they actually want, and for slackrepo to remember them, and to make
them happen when building, and do all that in a way that's compatible
with slackrepo's existing configuration -- because slackrepo *already*
has a 'hintfile' mechanism for selecting and remembering optional
dependencies, and I genuinely did look at all the SBo READMEs to see
what would work in the real world and to see what optional deps the
default hintfiles should enable for lots of important packages -- then
I'll consider merging it.

> Is that really your proposal for all slackware-maintainers, or for all SBo-users?

As I clearly wrote, it's for anybody who thinks they can design a
solution like "OPTIONAL=".  If you haven't checked how well the
solution works for all the problems it's supposed to solve, you
haven't finished the solution.

-D.