[Slackbuilds-users] OPTIONAL field [was: qemu/spice-gtk and usbredir]

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 02:49:51 UTC 2016

On 06/11/16 03:33, Erik Hanson wrote:
>> You kinda have point with the context of the deps, but we're not here
>> > to babysit people. One shall README, period.
> And there is the crux of the entire matter. Currently, we expect people
> to read the README. A machine-readable field of optional deps means
> people have even less reason to read the README. Nothing good comes of
> this. A few power users might be okay, but the other 99.9% of people:
> fucked. Our goal has always been a repo of scripts that reliably create
> valid packages. OPTIONAL provides too many ways for that to go wrong.
>
> Read the README and you're golden.

Well, I don't know. This feels kinda bad. Like babysitting.
It's Linux in the end, you are expected to know more less what you're doing.
There are many more ways to screw up your system.

On the other hand, the last thing I would like to see is mailing list
polluted with problems caused by OPTIONAL.
Is this a real threat?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski