[Slackbuilds-users] OPTIONAL field [was: qemu/spice-gtk and usbredir]

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 11:01:02 UTC 2016

On 06/11/16 05:26, Erik Hanson wrote:
> Currently, the active admins go above and beyond anything I would have
> ever expected. I'm incredibly proud of the people we have brought on
> board over the years. My heart swells when I think about how this
> project continues to exist 10+ years later, and the level of quality we
> maintain.

You can be sure that many of us appreciate the work.
We all remember how it was before SlackBuilds.org.

> Another aspect of this, is that I expect they would feel obligated to
> check everything in the OPTIONAL field, along side all the extra work
> they already do. Even if I were to explicitly say "don't bother with
> the OPTIONAL field" I know they would check it. They're just really
> good people that way, focused on the quality of our repository.
> Regardless of what I say, they're going to feel burdened by it. None of
> us want junk in the repo, or broken OPTIONAL lines.

I understand what you want to say.
I too have to be very careful to limit the time I spend on the code.

> There are much more pressing issues, our current server is on it's last
> legs, there's an "amber light of death", dmesg is filled with garbage,
> and I don't expect it to survive a reboot. Up 962 days as of this
> writing. We'll be fine for the foreseeable future, but something has to
> be done. We're not going down, it's not doom and gloom, I'll be sure of
> that. This is all just for reference as to why I'm really opposed to
> big changes right now. Or rather, why I'm able to squint, give a keen
> eye, and say "we really don't need this".

I've already offered my help, feel obliged to contact me.
And ask the community to buy a new server, we all depend on the service.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski