[Slackbuilds-users] OPTIONAL field [was: qemu/spice-gtk and usbredir]

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 08:59:37 UTC 2016

On 11/05/2016 01:20 PM, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
> On 05/11/16 20:59, King Beowulf wrote:
>> to sift and test all OPTIONAL
>> deps.
>
> No, no, no.
>
> You're confusing what OPTIONAL is about.
> It's about replicating *THE SAME INFORMATION THAT YOU PUT IN THE README*
> into the .info file, so *MACHINES* can understand it.
>
> You are not going to test it more than you do already.
> Let's finally understand that.

I disagree.  Most packages have too many potential compile options.
Once you place these into an OPTIONAL tag to allow for machine readable
parsing, you are asking for trouble if you do not test each use case.

If its just for human-readable, then just leave it in the README.

I haven't coded in decades, and I am not that daft to believe that this
automation can solve this issue.  It can't.  SBo isn't designed for this.

-Ed