[Slackbuilds-users] OPTIONAL field [was: qemu/spice-gtk and usbredir]

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 10:10:46 UTC 2016

On 07/11/16 10:43, Franzen wrote:
> On 2016-11-07 09:59, King Beowulf wrote:
>>>
>>> No, no, no.
>>>
>>> You're confusing what OPTIONAL is about.
>>> It's about replicating *THE SAME INFORMATION THAT YOU PUT IN THE README*
>>> into the .info file, so *MACHINES* can understand it.
>>>
>>> You are not going to test it more than you do already.
>>> Let's finally understand that.
>>>

>> I disagree.  Most packages have too many potential compile options.
>
> You are still getting it wrong.
> Nobody proposed to put any available compile option in an option-field.
> This would most likely be complete insane.

Would it? :-)

Without having the compile options machine readable there is no much
sens of putting OPTIONAL in .info.

At least not directly by maintainers.

If the OPTIONAL was about only listing optional packages, then it would
be far less error prone to simply tag them in README and then having SBO
parse the README and create the OPTIONAL field.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski