[Slackbuilds-users] LibreOffice, LOLANGS and dictionaries

Willy Sudiarto Raharjo willysr at slackbuilds.org
Tue Nov 8 02:52:22 UTC 2016

> I would like to ask what LOLANGS is about in LibreOffice.SlackBuild?
> Is it only about user interface language?
> Or does it influence for example date/time format, currency, etc?

I think it's already mentioned on the README

support additional languages by overriding the LOLANGS variable, whose
default setting is LOLANGS="de es fr id it ja nl vi zh-CN". Note that
en-US is always added to whatever LOLANGS is set. Thus building with,
for example,
LOLOANGS="de" sh LibreOffice

would build LibreOffice with support for german and US english languages.

There are 2 terms for this: localization and internationalization
Here's a good discussion in SO:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/506743/localization-and-internationalization-whats-the-difference

> About dictionaries:
> I like the way Alien has all the available dictionaries in separate
> packages:
> http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/libreoffice/pkg64/14.2/
>
> Is the
> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/office/libreoffice-langpack/ the
> way to do it in the same manner?
>
> I see that Willy is using different dictionaries tarball:
> LibreOffice_5.2.3_Linux_x86_rpm_langpack_en-GB.tar.gz (Willy)
> vs
> libreoffice-dictionaries-5.2.1.2.tar.xz (Alien)

what i use is a pre-built packages per language, while alienBOB used the
source to build dictionaries for all languages.
In most cases, you only need a spesific language pack, so that's why the
libreoffice-langpack only build a spesific language.

> SlackBuild correction:
> Not having pl in LOLANGS="de es fr id it ja nl vi zh-CN"
> is programming error :-^

I believe that's one good thing about open source. It evolves from time
to time and adding more languages is one of them. However, maintainers
may not notice every possible development done by upstream. That's why
we love it when people report and make things better :)

--
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo