[Slackbuilds-users] sboinstall - jdk download fails

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 4 22:16:01 UTC 2017

On 05/04/17 05:36, B Watson wrote:
> On 4/4/17, Gerardo Zamudio <gerardo.zamudio at linux.com> wrote:
>

>> I meant a general justification and answer for common JDK SlackBuild
>> related questions we've seen in this and other threads.
>>
>> FAQ #23 and HOWTO only state you need a full Slackware installation and
>> custom builds are not supported. I was thinking more like :
>>
>> #24 Why is there a jdk.SlackBuild?
>>
>> Because the official Slackware SlackBuild is in /extra and not included
>> in a full install. Because we need it as a dependency for other builds.
>>
>> #25 wget is not working!
>>
>> Some packages require explicit acceptance of their license terms and you
>> need a browser to download them. See jdk
>
> I'd vote for this.
>
> #25 could have a list of all the ones that aren't wgettable. And I'll
> make the list, as soon as I find the log file that has the details.

I recently went through all the SlackBuilds I use which require jdk and
rebuilt/tested/use them with openjdk instead. I don't recall what my
initial motivation was (I'm an open* sympathizer, not zealot) but I
found they all (19 of them) built and work just fine without holdups for
license considerations.

Maybe there are some apps which really require jdk rather than openjdk
but my recommendation is for maintainers to check whether their
SlackBuilds will work with openjdk and change them if they do.

chris