[Slackbuilds-users] jdk vs openjdk [was: sboinstall - jdk download fails]

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 10 01:16:33 UTC 2017

On 05/04/17 12:14, B Watson wrote:
> On 4/4/17, Christoph Willing <chris.willing at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> My list is:
>> graphviz libbluray octave Coin VTK commons-daemon ProjectLibre kodi
>> cudatoolkit apache-tomcat OpenCASCADE portmidi belle-sip LibreOffice
>> freewrl gdal opencv mlt
>
> If you (or anyone else reading this thread) feel like doing more testing,
> here's a more complete list:
>
> academic/EMBOSS
> academic/FCSalyzer
> academic/ImageJ
> academic/archeopteryx
> academic/calcoo
> academic/fastqc
> academic/jalview
> academic/jpicedt
> academic/jugglinglab
> academic/link-grammar
> academic/scilab
> academic/sequence-analysis
> academic/snpEff
> academic/wehi-cellsymphony
> academic/wehi-deid
> academic/wehi-hackit
> academic/wehi-weasel
> audio/atunes
> audio/fantasia
> audio/portmidi
> audio/tuxguitar
> desktop/awemenugen
> desktop/lxmed
> desktop/pdfsam
> development/Arduino
> development/FreeBASIC
> development/GitEye
> development/WebStorm
> development/alloy
> development/apache-ivy
> development/apache-jmeter
> development/apache-maven
> development/arduino
> development/argouml
> development/avr8-burn-o-mat
> development/bfg
> development/cudatoolkit
> development/dbeaver
> development/eclipse-cpp
> development/eclipse-java
> development/eclipse-jee
> development/energia
> development/gradle
> development/grails
> development/groovy
> development/idea
> development/javacc
> development/jython
> development/leiningen
> development/logisim
> development/monodevelop
> development/mysql-workbench
> development/netbeans
> development/nexus
> development/power-architect
> development/processing
> development/pycharm
> development/rstudio-desktop
> development/sbt
> development/scala
> development/smartgit
> development/smartsvn
> development/sonarqube
> development/sqlcl
> development/sqldeveloper
> development/squirrel-sql
> games/domination
> games/ho1
> games/javacpc
> [...]

I tried to resist but eventually couldn't help myself and spent a fun
weekend working through this list. I made a fresh branch and changed
requirements of jdk to openjdk (also did a second run changing to
openjdk8), then built all in a VM. The short story is that they all
built OK except:
1. office/ganttproject (which built OK with Oracle jdk)
2. those which already required openjdk8.

All built OK (except ganttproject) using openjdk8.

Although they build OK, there's no way I can test them all so there may
be other cases of runtime problems in addition to games/domination
already mentioned (although I wonder if openjdk8 would be better than
openjdk in such circumstances).

Working through the list and dependencies, I was surprised by the number
of packages which would not build immediately - often due to source
tarballs being unavailable or moved. I kept some notes and will advise
Willy and/or maintainers separately. Nevertheless it's interesting there
were so many broken SlackBuilds ...

I started to look at the problem with ganttproject and will try again
later. Although the main website recommends Oracle JDK, googling
revealed at least one instance of developer surprise that openjdk was
unsuitable. From that, there remains hope that it is, or sometime will
be, possible to use openjdk/openjdk8 for ganttproject.

I also had a problem with development/Arduino (the build from source
version), although this is not a Java issue at all. For some reason its
toolchain's personal version of automake won't build as is. However I
can build it using the same tarball elsewhere, so a bit strange ...

Conclusion: subject to runtime testing by others (hint to maintainers!)
all but one of the list are buildable using openjdk8 rather than jdk.

chris