[Slackbuilds-users] [ANN] New SBo Template Tool

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 03:01:29 UTC 2017

I recently was working on creating a new SlackBuild and found it had
several dependencies that were not on SBo, so I had to create those.
Whenever I needed to do this, I would always grab the templates from SBo,
however, it ends up requiring a lot of adjustments. There's just so much
text to remove (comments in the SlackBuild, text in the .info, and
adjusting the slack-desc to match the new appname and removing all the text
in there).

I eventually prepped some local templates, but there's some minor work that
needed to be done (moving the files, adding the various info, adjusting
slack-desc, etc), so I figured I should just create a script to handle all
of this for me.

It's pretty easy to use, you just call the script, specify the number that
corresponds with the type of SlackBuild you want (autotools, python, cmake,
etc), then the PRGNAM and VERSION. Optionally you can add a category at the
end to keep things sorted that will be used as a subdirectory for your
local repo. You can also use options to fill all the info in the .info (see
sbgen.sh -h output for more details). The numbers for the various type of
scripts (autotools, python, cmake, etc) correspond with the frequency of
their usage on SBo, so it goes autotools, python, cmake, perl, haskell,
ruby... 1-6. There is also a 7 for those scripts that don't use any of
those build systems (make just repackaging a binary).

I will be adding an interactive version (like Slackware's adduser script)
to allow easier copy/paste and to minimize long complex commands.

A simple script for a cmake-based SlackBuild would be:

sbgen.sh 3 myprogram 2.6.7

But you can also get all of the .info filled using options:

sbgen.sh -w https://github.com/project/myprogram \
  -d
https://github.com/project/myprogram/archive/2.6.7/myprogram-2.6.7.tar.gz \
  -m f4261584809b70f908a53fad87aa87e1 \
  -r "program1 program2" \
  3 program 2.6.7 libraries

(You can use a capital D and capital M for the 64bit DOWNLOAD and MD5SUM
variables.)

Hopefully this can cut down on a lot of the initial prep work when creating
a new SlackBuild.

You can edit the top of the script to set your name, email, and copyright
year, as well as the location to store the SlackBuilds once created.
There's checks in place to make sure you don't overwrite existing
SlackBuilds (unless you use the -f option to force it).

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions as well as any issues you
may have if you're willing to test.

https://github.com/bassmadrigal/scripts/blob/master/sbgen.sh

Thanks for your time
Jeremy (aka bassmadrigal on LQ)