[Slackbuilds-users] LibreOffice parallelism [was: Updates - 20170429.1]

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 29 09:14:11 UTC 2017

On 29/04/17 16:14, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
> Here's the last update in April
>> ... LibreOffice is also
> updated to support parallelism during building.

Just to clarify that a bit ...

LibreOffice build system ignores -j options for make, even if set in
MAKEFLAGS somewhere; it uses all cpu cores it can find, unless the
--with-parallelism configure option is used. In that sense, because
we've never set the --with-parallelism configure option in the
SlackBuild, parallelism during building has always been supported, just
not controlled.

This update changes that behaviour by enabling control of the extent of
parallel make jobs as follows:
- if the -j option is set in MAKEFLAGS, we extract its value and pass it
to the LibreOffice build system via the --with-parallelism configure option
- if the PARALLEL environment variable is set to some integer, we pass
that value via --with-parallelism (overriding any -j value from MAKEFLAGS).
- if nothing relevant is found via MAKEFLAGS or PARALLEL, the
--with-parallelism option is not set and the previous behaviour applies
i.e. LibreOffice sets up parallel make jobs up to the number of cpu
cores it finds available.

More (actually similar but different wording) in the README.

chris