[Slackbuilds-users] (no subject)

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 02:28:51 UTC 2017

On 2/11/17, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo <willysr at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> It's listed here on the very top
> https://slackbuilds.org/howto/

" All of our scripts are written and tested for usage on the latest stble
  release of Slackware with full installation"

> and also on the very bottom here
> https://slackbuilds.org/faq/#full

" All scripts are tested against a full installation of Slackware (all
default install groups)."

Neither of those answered the question he was asking. Does "a full
install" mean "an unpatched system, exactly as released, just after
being installed from DVD", or does it mean "a full install, with the
latest patches from Pat's patches/ dir"?

I've always assumed the latter: scripts are expected to work on a fully
patched system, and it's a bug if they don't. Doing it the other way,
expecting everyone to keep an unpatched system, would be insane (who
doesn't apply at least security patches to their OS?)

In most cases, the difference is no difference (Pat's very good at
keeping patches from breaking things). But in the rare case where it
does matter, if a build maintainer has to make a choice (script has
to be broken on one or the other), the system with the latest patches
should be the primary targer.

But, to the original poster: That's just my opinion, I don't speak for the
SBo team. I'm wrong all the time, so don't take it as a definitive answer.