[Slackbuilds-users] github wget source file ERROR 404: Not Found.

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 21:48:58 UTC 2017

On 02/26/2017 01:25 PM, Ryan P.C. McQuen wrote:

>         >wget
>         https://github.com/ib/xarchiver/archive/xarchiver-0.5.4.7.tar.gz
>
>         >Anyone know WTF is going on?

>         This works:
>
>         https://github.com/ib/xarchiver/archive/0.5.4.7.tar.gz
>
>         -Ryan
>         [ryanpcmcquen.org]

Dude, I'm not that stupid!  damn kids...

The downloaded filename is then "0.5.4.7.tar.gz" and not
"xarchiver-0.5.4.7.tar.gz" as before.

If I click on the link in Firefox, github does stupid script magic to
save as "xarchiver-0.5.4.7.tar.gz" even though hovering over the link
shows "0.5.4.7.tar.gz" which may also have implication with the d/l link
of the SBo page.

Thus, this breaks a bunch of SBo related scripts that depend on wget to
grab the link from *.info in the correct format - unless you remember to
append "-O <filename>-<tag>.tar.gz" or the scripts will have to use

curl -L https://github.com/ib/xarchiver/archive/0.5.4.8.tar.gz >
xarchiver-0.5.4.8.tar.gz

-Ed