[Slackbuilds-users] github wget source file ERROR 404: Not Found.

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 27 00:56:31 UTC 2017

> I do the same thing as Mr. Watson in some of my SlackBuilds. How do I
> get the long-format Github download that works with wget or if someone
> downloads it by clicking on the source at Github?

This is a bit complicated, so I'm happy if people don't worry about
this or if they make mistakes. But if you really want to know, here it
is.

We start at the homepage on Github:
https://github.com/ib/xarchiver
The username here is 'ib'
The project name here is 'xarchiver'

We look at the 'releases' page from the link that says '32 releases'
https://github.com/ib/xarchiver/releases
This is actually a list of git tags. The one we want is '0.5.4.7'

The long-format download URL is
in this case:
https://github.com/ib/xarchiver/archive/0.5.4.7/xarchiver-0.5.4.7.tar.gz

Inside the tarball, the top level directory will always be
<project>-<tag>/

This is true even if the tag starts with the project name, for example
previously xarchiver was like this:
https://github.com/ib/xarchiver/archive/xarchiver-0.5.4.7/xarchiver-xarchiver-0.5.4.7.tar.gz

**Exception** if the tag starts with 'v', the tarball name and top
level directory does *not* start with 'v', for example
https://github.com/kparal/sendKindle/archive/v2.1/sendKindle-2.1.tar.gz

your lives, and I really don't mind doing fixups when necessary :)

Cheers
-D.