[Slackbuilds-users] possible submission

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 22 23:58:39 UTC 2017

On 23/06/17 08:56, B Watson wrote:
> Would anyone object to my submitting an openjdk-bin build? Basically
> just a prebuilt binary repack of the same version of openjdk that's
> currently in the openjdk build.
>
> I think this would be useful because come next Slackware release, gcc-java
> will be gone (gcc upstream dropped it). Which means we're back to the
> old "open source openjdk depends on Oracle proprietary jdk" issue that
> we resolved a few months back. I (and probably others) would rather be
> able to bootstrap openjdk without having to deal with Oracle.

I was wondering about this too. Even now, openjdk8 depends on openjdk to
bootstrap the build which I always thought was a bit strange; it seems
somehow wrong that building any software depends on the previous version
of that software. With gcc-java to be gone soon, building that previous
version (openjdk) won't be possible anymore, hence why having a -bin
version is needed for the future.

Although how long is that sustainable? Imagine in 10 years time -
working back through the build dependencies of openjdk12 and finding you
need a binary version of the same software from 10 years ago. If you
instead use the Oracle jdk for bootstrapping, then what does "open" in
openjdk mean?

chris